Watch the poetry reading performed by Val Cole.
NORTH OF TOMBSTONE, 3AM by Doug Stanfield:
Get to know the poet:
1) What is the theme of your poem?
How a harsh land shapes the people who survive its challenges. In this case, it is the desert along the Mexican border in Arizona.
2) How would you like people to respond when they read or watch your poetry reading?
I would hope the reader will get a feeling for how life at the margins might be for ordinary people, and for the law of unintended consequences. I hope this piece will allow for some empathy for those who know how to survive.
3) How long have you been writing poetry?
For a little over two years. I had a career as a writer for about 35 years, mostly in journalism (newspapers)
4) Do you have a favorite poet?
I have two or three favorites, actually. My first is Carl Sandburg but lately I’ve been reading the excellent work of Jim Harrison and the North Carolina writer named Sheri Smith. I think my favorites tend to be for those who write more in the narrative style, almost prose, but not quite. And I like those who have a basic affection for our common humanity, rather than those who moan about things too much.
5) What influenced you to submit to WILDsound and have your poetry performed by a professional actor?
You mean besides the ego trip? ?
6) Do you write other works? scripts? Short Stories? Etc..?
I’m working on a novel, mystery, with lots of sex.
7) What is your passion in life?
At my, age waking up every day is all the passion I need. I figure if I wake up then everything else is irrelevant, and I try to have the best time I can.
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo
Casting: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: John Johnson